Friday, August 20, 2021

Off Again On Again

The brain is a funny thing: so strong, yet so easily affected by circumstances and situations

A few weeks ago, my brother and I were talking seasonings: comparing our own blends of herbs and aromatics and discussing some of our store-bought favorites. "You know what mix from Penzey's I really like?" I asked him.

"No," he replied, waiting for me to answer my clearly rhetorical question, but my mind had suddenly gone blank.

"Neither do I!" I finally admitted, and we had a good laugh at the expense of my senior moment.

Today, I was in a meeting with some other English teachers talking about the new standards-based grading that our school is transitioning to. We were brainstorming assessments we could use to make sure the students have enough opportunities to demonstrate mastery and discussing how the two language arts classes, reading and English, might fit in the big picture. 

"Maybe we should combine the results and give just one overall ELA grade," I said. "That kind of makes more sense since both classes are assessing the same standards, right?"

"Let me look into it," our department chair responded, thoughtfully. "I never thought of that."

"Neither did I!" I said. "Until right now."

No comments:

Post a Comment