Sunday, August 15, 2021

Dread Days of August

I know I should be savoring these last days of my summer vacation, but it's tough. There was a meme going around a few years ago that went something like For teachers, the month of August is just one long Sunday night. It is sort of true; along with the excitement of a new year, there is a little sorrow at saying good bye to sleeping late and being productive in entirely different ways.

This year, of course, there is also apprehension around COVID and how it continues to impact our lives and routines. In fact, a recently retired friend emailed me the other day, subject line: A new word for your vocabulary. The word was paraskevidekatriphobia, or fear of Friday the 13th. 

Rather than boast that I already knew the word, I replied instead This year? I'm more afraid of Thursday the 19th!

And she reassured me that, like Friday the 13th, 2021 only has one Thursday the 19th, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment