Wednesday, August 25, 2021

A Shift

I spent part of the day going through one of the bookshelves in my classroom. After 28 years of teaching, I've assembled a pretty nice professional library, full of what once was cutting edge philosophy, advice, and strategies. But while I've added to my collection over the years, I've never taken the time to prune it, reviewing and tossing the books I no longer need or want. 

I filled a box with discards, and I had the sense that this is how it will be moving forward: relinquishment will take the place of acquisition, as I pare my professional possessions. Oh, my students will not suffer-- I have all that I need to make my classroom a comfortable and welcoming place, plus more! in the storage closet down the hall. And I will always provide the consumables that fuel learning-- school supplies and healthy snacks for the kids and chocolate for the adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment