Tuesday, August 3, 2021

The Spirit Moves

Another day, another scramble through hardwoods, conifers, and over granite to make my way up a New England mountain with an expansive view. Today it was Eagle Mountain, the highest point overlooking Lake Champlain. 

It's been five years since my last summer sojourn up north, and I had almost (almost!) forgotten how much I love this terrain. I used to think that if I lived up here I would hike the mountains at least three times a week because I enjoyed it so much, but years away had me convinced that such a plan was only the result of young legs and fond memories. 

Today, a local hiker at the trail head let us know that dogs did not have to be on leash, and so Bill, Emily, Heidi, Lucy, Rosie, and I set off through grassy meadows. The sun was shining and the dogs ran up the trail and back to check in, excited by all the new sights and smells. Huge granite outcroppings and a variety of ferns defended the trail as we entered the woods and began a steeper climb to the summit. there was no view at the top, but a short path down and to the west led us to the edge of a drop-off and an open vista of the sun shining on Champlain and its islands.

We followed a loop back to the fork where we had entered the woods, and the blue sky and wide lane tumbling gently back to the parking lot were just irresistible, so even on these old legs?

I had to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment