Monday, August 23, 2021

And Counting

 Here's a story that I wish my mom could have read.

A former student, who is going into 8th grade, stopped by my room today to introduce me to their sister who will be in my class this year. Their mom is a colleague at our school, and so I was aware of the rising 6th grader, but it was still nice to meet her in person and also really great to see her older sister, who I hadn't met in person since we went out for COVID in 2020.

"I'm excited to work with you as a writer this year!" I told my future student. 

"Me too," she said, and then nudged her older sibling. "Tell her!" she urged, sotto voce.

"Oh, yeah," shrugged Bella. "Since the 100 Day challenge, I kept going. I haven't missed a day."

"She's on five hundred something!" her little sister boasted.

"Oh my gosh!" I said, stunned. "I can't believe it! You're the only one whose ever kept writing!"

"Except you," they said.

1 comment: