Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Nature Dog

After three breezy days of choppy water, Lake Champlain was like glass this afternoon. The reflection of the sky on the oh-so-gentle ripples had me shucking my sneakers and cargo shorts in exchange for water shoes, gym shorts, a tank top, and of course, a kayak. 

While Heidi tossed a tennis ball and stick into the lake for the dogs, I paddled smoothly around the little inlet on the shore of our lake house. Any time I ventured past the dock, though, Lucy felt it was her canine duty to swim out and fetch me back. Eventually, with a little encouragement and a lot of treats, we got Lucy into the kayak, so that she and I could explore a little deeper water together.

It was hard to tell if she was actually enjoying the ride; she bailed out of the kayak more than a few times, but for a first attempt, I'd call it a success. And after the off-leash hiking yesterday and the kayaking today, Lucy has become quite the outdoorsdog, which naturally?

Pleases me greatly.



No comments:

Post a Comment