Monday, August 2, 2021

Fearless

 Our Vermont adventures took us to Stowe today. After searching somewhat unsuccessfully for a lovely lunch spot and poking around the quaint village, we headed up Mountain Road past the turn off for the Von Trapp Family Lodge to Stowe Mountain Resort. There we pulled up to the booth to pay our way up the auto toll road to the highest point in Vermont, Mount Mansfield. As we idled at the foot of a very steep hill, a young man in a red polo, safari hat, and a name tag reading Paul ambled over to the passenger side of the car. 

"Have you all been her before?" he asked.

"No!" we answered enthusiastically.

"Welcome!" he replied. "It's 4 1/2 miles to the top, and another 3 mile hike to the summit, but you'll have 360 degree views about 10 minutes up the trail. Cars coming down the mountain have the right of way. Do you know how to put your car in low gear?"

"Um, I think so?" I said.

He smiled. "You think so? Or you do? Or you don't?" he laughed.

"How do I do it?" I asked.

"Pull the shift down to Drive and over to the left where it says M" he instructed, "then you have to use the paddles."

The paddles I knew. "These, right?" I flipped the levers on my steering wheel with my fingers.

"Right!" he smiled again. "Use 1 or 2 on your way down, instead of riding your brakes." 

After paying our toll, we started up the mountain. The road was steep, and my ears popped even before the pavement subsided to gravel a quarter of a mile up. After that, the grade was steep and the hairpin turns were harrowing, especially when we met another car coming down. My passengers, Bill, Emily, and Heidi were kind of white-knuckling it; without having to focus strictly on the road ahead, they could see the drop-offs and other hazards to either side. But I was unfazed, keeping an even foot on the gas and warily watching for oncoming traffic.

The trip to the top was worth the toll and the trouble: the views of Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks to the west and the Green Mountains to the east were stunning. The trip down, in low gear, was a bit grating, but we all agreed that timing our visit for late enough in the day that there was no upward traffic was a brilliant accident.

Later, at the house, when we told our guests about the day, my brother said, "Tracey is the bravest driver I know!"

"Thanks," I replied, "but bravery is when you're afraid of something and you do it anyway." I shrugged.  I wasn't really afraid today. Maybe that makes me foolish."

"Tracey is the bravest fool I know," he corrected himself, and we all laughed, but I think there may be more truth in that than I care to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment