Sunday, August 1, 2021

C & C Part 12

This story could never be complete without mention of Debbie and Louise, the founders of the company, but now that I've reached the end, it's hard to know what to say about them. They were in their thirties when they opened the shop. Debbie was a few years younger; tall and willowy she had the reputation as the "pretty one" and "the nice one," but she could be rigid and bitchy when she needed to or had a bad day. Louise was the dynamo behind the company's success. She had a loud, outsized persona, and with a booming southern accent and an iron will, she was the incarnation of a steel magnolia. 

Because she was so volatile and exacting, the mood in the kitchen would tense immediately whenever she came down from the office. It was impossible to predict if she would ignore you, praise you, or tear you a new one. Louise was a study in opposites: stingy and generous, belittling and supportive, relaxed and stressed, you never knew who you were going to get. But she was always, always confident; whichever Louise you were dealing with, she was committed to her position, 100 percent.

And, for some reason? Louise really liked me. When I quit to move up to DC, she took me and my sister and girlfriend out to dinner at the hot new restaurant in town. "Taste this," she pushed her appetizer toward me, "what do you think is in it?" When I told her, she clapped and said, "I think you're right!" Later that evening, she gave me a huge, beautiful copper skillet, made in France. It must have been worth over a hundred bucks in 1989 money.

A few months ago, my sister and I were talking and the topic of our days in the catering/cafe business came up. I did a quick Google search, found a recent picture of Louise, and texted it to my sister. "Oh," she said, "Louise is an old lady now."

Proof that it happens to everyone, in case there was any doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment