Friday, May 7, 2021

No Happy Ending

My friend Mary came by my classroom just as I was finishing my lunch break. "What are you watching?" she asked, wondering about the urgent British voices murmuring through my computer speaker.

"Oh," I said, and hit pause, considering where to begin. "Yesterday I read a story in the NYTimes about a skull they had recreated the face from. The guy was part of the crew on the Franklin Expedition."

Mary nodded. 

I continued, " I had never heard of the Franklin Expedition, so I read a little bit about it--"

"That's why you're so smart!" Mary said.

"Thanks" I laughed, "and then I wondered if there was a documentary about them. They sailed to the Arctic in the 1840s looking for the Northwest Passage, and they were never heard from again."

"Is that what you were watching?" Mary asked. "Did it have actors? I hate documentaries like that!"

"That's funny you should say that," I told her, "because there are several documentaries dating back to the 90s, and most of them do have re-enactments. I was just thinking how much I hate those, too!"

We exchanged I know, right? nods. "What happened to them has been a mystery since they disappeared," I explained. "Over the years they have found lots of clues, and they even found both ships recently. What I was watching was the trailer for an AMC show from 2018 called The Terror which was the name of one of their ships. It's a dramatization of what might have happened to the expedition from the time they got stuck in the ice until they tried to walk to Canada."

"Well put that on your list to watch!" Mary recommended.

"Maybe," I shrugged, "it looks pretty bleak though. There's one part where a guy is looking through his little brass telescope, and it's so cold that it pulls the skin off around his eye when he lowers it!'

We both cringed.

"Plus, I'm just not sure I can get invested in 10 episodes when I know nobody survives."

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I'd ever consider getting on a boat by the name of "Terror".

    ReplyDelete