Saturday, May 15, 2021

If I May

News today that most mask mandates have been eased or lifted for those who are fully vaccinated. The latest data reports that a little less than 48 percent of the US population has had at least one dose of a vaccine, and here where we live the number is 60%, which is actually closer to 80% of those who are eligible. And just as Pfizer has received approval to administer their vaccine to anyone 12 or older, several students told me yesterday of their weekend plans to be vaccinated. 

Living in a bubble of like-minded people makes it hard to understand why anyone would remain unprotected from the virus, but a conversation I overheard between two kids at school yesterday showed me of why we are not further along in vaccinations. 

"I'm not getting it!" one girl told a classmate.

"What??" the other student was stunned. "Why?"

"I haven't gotten COVID yet, and I don't think I will. I think I'm resistant."

"Won't your parents make you?" the other girl wondered.

"No!" she said. "They won't get it either."

I looked over from my desk. She had her mask pulled down to her mouth.

"Cover your nose, please," I reminded her.

She sighed and with a little roll of the eyes adjusted her mask.


No comments:

Post a Comment