Thursday, May 27, 2021

Best of the Best

Noon today found me telling my homeroom students how much I appreciated them. They were willingly working on an activity where they imagine that one of the United Nation Global Goals had actually been achieved; the task was to describe that world in poetry, essay, narrative, or visual art. I played John Lennon's Imagine as they worked on descriptions of a world without poverty, social injustice, pollution, economic disparity, limited education and health care. "You guys are definitely one of the best homerooms I've ever had!" I told them, and I meant it. "You always give the activities a chance, and you usually see their value. It's amazing!"

"What were your other TAs like?" someone asked.

"Oh, I've had some good ones-- we have sung and danced and crafted and created and worked hard, but what's really amazing is that our TA has never even al been in the same room, and we've had a great year."

"How many TAs have you had?" asked another student.

"Twenty-nine!" I answered, and they were duly impressed.

"What about me?" one kid joked. "Am I the smartest, best student you ever had?"

"You are definitely in the top 3000!" I told him.

No comments:

Post a Comment