Sunday, May 2, 2021

Fruits of My Labor

How long have we had that garden? I asked myself as I wearily trod home this afternoon after spending a couple hours clearing the winter weeds away. After 2 days, the task is probably only 70 percent done, and then there will be soil conditioning and mulching before planting. 

I've been trying to enjoy
All the fruits of my labor

My strategy is to devote an hour or so each day until it is ready, but a deadline looms. Just this morning we got a little nastygram via email reminding us that if gardens are not prepared by May 15, they could be reassigned to one of the 400 people on the waiting list. Jeepers! 

I've been crying for you boy
But truth is my savior

This is the 12th season we have been working on that corner plot. It is the one we got when someone else abandoned it in 2010, probably because it's too shady on the north side and full of wire grass and mugwort roots that come back with a vengeance year after year no matter how much digging and pulling we do. Or maybe they quit because keeping the fence line clear is another time consuming requirement that only gardens on the perimeter have to contend with. 

Baby, sweet baby
If it's all the same

Oh, I would miss my garden sorely were we to give it up, because truth be told, once it's planted for the season, the upkeep and harvesting are a joy. I just got to get it in.

Take the glory any day over the fame
Baby, sweet baby
~Lucinda Williams

1 comment:

  1. Nice juxtaposition of your prose and her poetry! And P.S. Those garden bosses sound aggressive.

    ReplyDelete