Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Little Data

Once a colleague told me that, in an effort to help herself make an important decision, she created a one question Google form for herself that she filled out everyday asking how she felt about making the change she was considering. 

"How's it looking?" I asked her.

"Right now?" she replied, "It's 50-50."

I Laughed when she told me, both at the quirkiness and the genius of her approach, but in the end she collected months of data and was able to analyze the trends and aggregate record of her thoughts and feelings and use them to help her make a decision that she was happy with.

I thought of her today as I was sliding into a mid-week trough of online teaching. After a pretty good day yesterday, today the same lesson was less effective, and after a meeting during my planning time, it took me much longer than I expected to prepare my next set of lessons for tomorrow and Friday. Now that they are done, I'm feeling a little bit better, but who knows how tomorrow will be. Writing about the challenges and small victories of this time will offer a record, no doubt, but as we go through? I think a daily check in might be a good idea, too.

Cue the Google form!

No comments:

Post a Comment