Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Big Brother

 Finding a writing topic is a real challenge for some kids, but simply saying, "I don't have anything to write about" is also a common strategy that other kids use to avoid writing. Fortunately, it's usually easy to separate the two groups by engaging in conversation. 

Most kids with writer's block will open up after a few questions about their pets, their hobbies, their injuries, their victories, and find a story to tell about themselves. It's the kids who don't like any games or sports and don't know what they do in their spare time or don't really like or hate anything who are harder to help. The wrong approach will make them dig their heels in just to prove to you that they

really.

have.

nothing.

to.

say.

In the classroom, it's tough to crack their resistance, and I wasn't sure how I would approach it with distance learning. Today? I found out. I was using that good old workshop tool, the status of the class, checking in with every writer to see how they were progressing. As I asked about their writing topics, I was hoping that hearing from other students would help those kids who were struggling to find an idea.

Then I ran into J.

Oh my gosh! He was committed to having absolutely nothing to write about. He hated soccer, but couldn't tell you why. He won a participation award once, but couldn't tell you when or why. He had no pets, did nothing in his spare time, never watched TV, and never went on vacation. He just ate food because he needed it to stay alive. 

"Well is there any food you hate?" I asked him.

"Pineapple and onions," he answered, "because they're nasty."

"No one hates pineapple," I said. "Are you sure you still hate it?"

"Yeah," he nodded, "I had it last night on my pizza."

"Why did you eat it if you hate it?" I asked.

"My brother shoved it in my mouth and made me," he said.

"That sounds like a story to me," I noted, hopefully.

"Not really," he said.

I looked at his name on my roster, and something rang a bell. "Did your brother go to our school?" I asked.

"Yeah," he said.

"Oh my gosh! I taught him 5 years ago! Is he there right now?" I asked.

"He's across the hall," he shrugged.

"Go tell him I said Hi, and ask him what you should write about!" I directed him.

For the first time in our conversation, he looked engaged. He left the frame and then came back a few minutes later.

"He said, and I quote, Write about how dumb you are!" he reported in a perfect deadpan.

I burst out laughing, and he laughed, too.

"Well," I told him, "I guess you can write about how mean big brothers are."

"Yes," he said, "yes I can."

1 comment: