Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Food for the Soul

I love to cook-- it's my top creative, hands-on jam. I usually begin every day with grinding, mixing, chopping, stirring, and often toasting, baking and/or frying and end it with blanching, roasting or grilling, dicing, saucing, and, of course, pouring a beverage pairing.

It's rare, though, that I cook for myself alone, but that's okay. For me, the joy of the process is sharing the product. Figuring out what people will and won't love to eat is a fun little challenge for me. For example, Heidi loves acid, but not too much heat; more than a tiny hit of salt will ruin a dish for Bill; Courtney hasn't enjoyed onions since she was pregnant with Richard. Sometimes when I'm cooking, I think of a person who would really love the dish, and vow to make it for them when I can.

Tonight that person was my mom. For some reason every component of the meal made me think of her. Mom would love this! I knew as I chopped tomatoes from my garden, made lime slaw, and pickled onions for the (wait for it) cauliflower (lots of acid, not too spicy) tacos we're having.

And as I worked, I reflexively considered her appreciation in present tense, as if I could make it all for her the next time I saw her, and she would tell me herself just how yummy it was.

If only that were so.

1 comment:

  1. It's a gift that you can keep her so close with your love of cooking and cooking for those you love.

    ReplyDelete