Thursday, September 10, 2020

Decompression

 When at last I shut down my computer this afternoon after logging nearly six straight hours of screen time, most of it in-person teaching to a grid of tiny dots filled with my students' initials, I considered crawling over to the couch, pulling my soft, fleecy blanket up over my head, and taking a nap. 

My eyes and brain felt raw and numb, but I knew in my heart that sleeping was probably not the best solution, and it was too early to start drinking, so, despite the pouring rain, I pulled on my boots, popped up my umbrella and went for a three mile walk. 

Back at home, I put the loaf of bread that had been rising since 6:30 in the oven, unzipped my ukulele from its case and strummed and sang for half an hour. Next, it was a 30 minute dance workout, after which I finally started feeling capable of maybe, maybe looking at another screen and start getting ready for tomorrow.

I used to be in the habit of relaxing by staring at my screen, scrolling through news and games and messages and social media posts, but all that has flipped along with my classroom. 

I only hope that my students are taking some breaks, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment