Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Magic Button

In addition to distance learning and teaching, this year our school has also made a move to block schedule. We did it to parallel the other middle schools in our district, because central office is, prudently, mandating as united a front as possible. Adapting to such a change has been an extra layer of challenge, but it has also allowed us to build in time for students to work away from their screens, which, after only 2 days of online school, I whole-heartedly support.

Having a block means that even though school started yesterday, there were still 2 sections of students to meet today. My first group was a lot like the classes yesterday: a little shy and quiet, but more than willing to follow the presentation and work on the assignment. But the next class was something else all together! From the minute I started the meeting, they were talking... not to me, but to each other. It was kind of refreshing to hear one kid greet another, and there was even good-natured teasing in both the real-time conversation and the chat. And it was almost like being in a rowdy classroom when it was time to start-- I had to raise my voice a little and ask for their attention. Honestly? It made me love them a little bit-- what powerful personalities they must have to shape a group from far away.

It didn't take too long before the students quieted down, and the lesson went well. When it was time for them to work independently on the assignment I had prepared, a student unmuted his mic to ask a question. "Can we talk while we work?"

I was unprepared for the inquiry.

"Uhhh," I started. "That's a good question! In school, I would say yes, as long as you worked quietly, so... I guess so? As long as it's not too loud or distracting."

"Cool!" he said.

But as they worked, the noise coming out of my laptop was loud and disjointed. I couldn't mute my speaker in case someone had a question, so at last, in a bit of tired desperation, I muted all of them. On my screen I watched to see if there was any reaction, but there wasn't. Some kids just kept on talking, sure that everyone else was listening, and others just kept on working. No one complained.

Friends, I am more than ready to return to the classroom as soon as it is safe. I can't wait to meet my students and spend time collaborating with my colleagues in person.

But I can already tell I'm going to miss that "mute all" button!

No comments:

Post a Comment