Friday, September 18, 2020

The Trouble in Troubleshooting

I'm afraid I'm going to have re-think my future career as a remote technical assistant. One of my homeroom students has been having a lot of trouble with his iPad, and screen sharing on the conference call was one of the problems, which made it even more difficult to help him. After a little research yesterday, I was ready to solve that complication today with hope that we could fix the rest of his issues, too. 

Unfortunately, once he shared his screen, he lost his audio feed so that we could hear him, but he couldn't hear us. Let's just say there was a lot of heavy breathing and silly, sing-songy self-talk as he swiped and tapped and peered closely at the camera. I finally got his attention in the chat by holding up hand-written signs in the hopes that he would catch a glimpse of them when he cycled back around to the call. 

What followed was even more of a comedy of errors, as he squinted at my notes on the screen and in the chat, struggling to decode my handwriting and comprehend my suggestions, and I furiously googled what the problem could be and scribbled and typed some more. 

"Nope, nope, nope," he sang. "Hah? What! Nope."

At last I gave up and showed him the number of the help desk and told him to go to lunch. "When do they want me to call them?" he SHOUTED, because he couldn't hear me, so...

Right away! I advised him.

He gave me the thumbs up and left the call.

I wonder if he had his iPad on mute? I thought, as I ended the meeting myself, but it was too late to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment