Friday, September 13, 2019

Everybody Wins

We were playing "IB Charades" in home room this morning, and I was kind of surprised at how much my students were enjoying it. Everyone wanted to take turn after turn to act out the 10 Learner Profile traits and the five Approaches to Learning skills, which, to be honest, can be rather dry material.

I have one student who is not quite on grade level, but the other kids are good at including her by meeting her where she is. On her first turn, she chose Balanced and the class got it right away when she very convincingly mimed walking across a tightrope. Her next turn she got Caring, and I was initially confused when she dropped to her hands and knees and started across the carpet.

"Come here," I told her. "I think you read that word wrong," I whispered. "It wasn't crawling, it was caring."

She nodded and picked up a few books and began walking across the room again.

I frowned, and then, figuring it out, gestured her back. "I said caring, like you're really nice, not carrying!" I whispered again.

She was unfazed, and reaching for one of the stuffed animals I keep in a crate by the wall, scooped it up and gave it a hug."

"Caring!" the class guessed.

"You got it!" she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment