Monday, September 16, 2019

Still Dumb

"Doesn't that distract the students?" several colleagues have asked upon noticing the endless recess that goes on at the elementary school right outside my window.

To be honest? After the first day, the kids pretty much ignored their younger counterparts romping and climbing and running and yes, fighting and crying,often unnoticed by the adults out there, but for me it stirs resentment I still haven't resolved about the whole situation. I still think building a school in that space was a dumb idea, and I'm still annoyed that the powers that be went ahead and did it anyway despite many objections.

This morning as I waited for 3 buses to make the turn from the bus lane to the narrow street that leads to both schools so that I could enter the underground garage and descend two levels to park in one of the lotteried spaces walk up two flights of steps and then enter the school as I did for 25 years, I challenged Heidi to think of one positive thing about the present circumstances. We parked and walked and climbed and walked in silence.

"I can't," she admitted as we pushed through the entry doors.

"Me neither," I sighed as we walked past the latest construction.

"Have a good day!" we said together as we went our separate ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment