Sunday, September 15, 2019

Pumpkin Dreams

"What is that?" I pointed to a large, green butternut squash shaped object growing by the fence. We had stopped by the garden for the first time in a couple of weeks. The last time I had visited, I had pretty much picked everything clean, and with the droughty conditions, I didn't expect much to be growing.

I traced the vine back to the spot where I had transplanted a handful of seedlings in early July. They had come from a grow-your-own-pumpkin kit that I received in my stocking. Could it be a pumpkin? I wondered with rising excitement, but upon close examination, I just didn't think so. It was the only one of its sort growing, and although the other vines were gangbusters, none of them were bearing any fruit.

Since I had no idea if it were ripe or not, I decided to leave it there and gently turned it over, so that the garden side might see some sunshine. A little research when I got home suggested that it may likely be a Lunga di Napoli squash, an Italian heirloom similar to our butternut, but with green skin instead of tan.

Even so, I'll leave it there and check again next weekend to see if there are any signs that it may turn bright orange by October.

No comments:

Post a Comment