Wednesday, September 25, 2019

You Smell Familiar

Since Heidi was indisposed yesterday afternoon it fell to me to walk Lucy on my own. We headed down the hill and over to the dog park where I hoped she would find some friendly pups to run with. As we made our way along the path from the western gate to the eastern, Lucy did engage a bit with some other dogs, but she was more interested in sniffing than frolicking.

It's a phenomena we have noticed with her lately-- she's a little standoffish with dogs outside her core group, but if the pack is present, she plays with everyone. I guess even with dogs, or perhaps especially with dogs, there is security in numbers.

At any rate, we were about halfway through the park when a blonde doodle and a berniedoodle puppy ran over not to Lucy, but to me. They were both jumping on me like I had a bag of treats, which I did not. Their owner sat on a bench engrossed in her phone the whole time, even as I sternly told them "off!" and "off!" again.

Eventually, they got to Lucy, and they greeted her enthusiastically, too. She played a little with them, but not as strenuously as I wished. A couple minutes later, we moved on down the park. There was something about those dogs that stuck with me though, and when I got home I asked Heidi if she knew them. It wasn't until today that my brain itch was finally scratched. When our dog walker came to get Lucy, she told us there was a doodle fest at her house: Harper and Gatsby were over.

Harper and Gatsby! A blonde doodle and a berniedoodle puppy I have met many times when we've gone to pick up Lucy from the dog walker. They were right-- they did know me! I just didn't recognize them out of context. But who knows what Lucy was thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment