Tuesday, September 17, 2019

A New Approach?

Not yet as popular as Marie Kondo but with every chance of getting his own Netflix show is Garr Reynolds and his concept of Presentation Zen. For anyone who has ever sat through an excruciating slideshow, or worse yet, created and presented one, Reynolds has a set of guidelines meant to make your presentation more engaging and more memorable.

As a teacher? This notion speaks loudly to me. Streamlining my lessons is always my goal. And as the victim of many, Many, MANY boring slideshow-based presentations?

Back to school night is my first project. Here are the tenets I am using to design my 27th BSN presentation:

1. Think before you turn on the computer. I have all my notes on a legal pad.
2. Keep your audience in mind. What do the parents want to know when they leave?
3. Have a solid structure. In progress
4. Have a clear theme. Guiding question for the year: How can we become better writers? 
5. Remove the non-essential. I usually run out of time. Why?
6. Hook 'em early. In progress
7. Show a clear conflict. Writing is a struggle and so is working hard to improve on anything. 
8. Demonstrate a clear change. Supporting writers in their practice will help them improve.
9. Show or do the unexpected. Um....
10. Make 'em feel. Writing is thinking, and writing is an effective way to show what you know, and connect with others.
11. Be authentic. Aw, shucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment