Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Seen and Heard and

I sat at my desk fiddling with my email and google drive attempting to pull up an agenda that someone had shared with me. We had just finished an all-sixth-grade meeting in my room and were scheduled to begin the ELA department meeting in about 10 minutes, so I was trying to project the discussion items on the screen for everyone to see. In frustration, I reread the email about the upcoming meeting, but there was no agenda attached. Then, I noticed the following message in small italics:

Be Seen. Be Heard. Be Brave.

This is a session for those who deeply desire to empower their students to be brave in the classroom. We will discuss how guilt, embarrassment, humiliation and shame hinder students from displaying bravery, achieving academic success and age appropriate independence while teacher modeled vulnerability can release students to be seen, be heard, and be brave in the classroom. Participants will review the work of Dr. Brené Brown, shame and vulnerability researcher from the University of Houston, and leave with ready to use classroom experiences and management tools for all age levels. All educators of students welcome!

It didn't seem like the right info for a department meeting. "What are we even doing in this meeting?" I asked irritably.

A few colleagues had filtered in early, and a teacher I didn't recognize walked over to my desk. "Hi," she said, "you must be the teacher whose room this is. I'm Michelle, and I'll be leading the session today."

That was... brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment