Monday, March 25, 2024

Safe Travels

The sun is shining and our bags are packed. The audiobook is chosen, the snack bag is loaded up, the car is full of gas, and the road to Buffalo stretches ahead. Once that rush hour traffic clears? We will be on our way.

After reading about everybody else's vacations all weekend, it's time for our own road trip.

After I wrote this, I searched my blog to be sure I had a unique title, (which can be a challenge after 15 years!) Never have I called a post "Safe Travels" but I was taken by the other times I've used the phrase:

Saturday, May 21, 2022 

E is for Extended 


We gathered today in Lynchburg for the high school graduation of Heidi's goddaughter. The last time we were in this little city on the James River was nearly 18 years ago when the same child was born. Shortly after that, her family moved to New Jersey, and over the years, we've attended christenings, first communions, and other milestone events of her and older sister's where we have met her grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, and other close family friends. It's been about 10 years since the last celebration, though, and in that time the family has returned to the same private school where her dad worked when she and her sister were born, and it was from that school that she graduated today. 


How strange it is to spend the day with people we know and keep up with through our mutual acquaintance but have only met a few times and haven't seen in ten years. Dining on sandwich wraps and cookies, the quality of interaction shifts from superficial to friendly to almost intimate. But then the conversation flags and we stand awkwardly to throw our paper plate in the trash, refill a solo cup with iced tea, and repeat the ritual with another partner until it's time for goodbyes. There will be the decision to hug or not to hug. "Safe travels!" we will say. "It was so good to see you again." 


"Until next time!" they might answer, And because it occurs to us that these meetings are most definitely numbered, we nod and lean into that hug. 


Life Lesson: Live in fragments no longer. Only connect! ~E.M. Forester Saturday, 


November 17, 2012 

Some Habits Die Hard 


This morning I was facetiming with my mother. She's coming to town tomorrow for the holidays, so I wanted to get her flight info and wish her safe travels. I was sitting in an easy chair by the window during the call, and rather than allow my face to be darkened by backlighting, I turned sideways so that my folded legs were against one arm and my back rested against the other. It wasn't the most comfortable of positions, so I was wiggling a bit to find a sweet spot as we chatted. 


"Do you have to go to the bathroom?" my mother asked me. 


(Full confession: As a kid, I was notorious for getting caught up in something and rather than pausing, I would just do a little dance until the moment was more convenient to visit the restroom. My family might say that I never outgrew that particular quirk. Whatever...) 


"No!" I answered, and started to explain, but then I stopped and said, "Mom! I think now that I'm fifty you can stop asking me that question." 


"No I can't," she replied. "You'll always be my little girl." 


Tuesday, June 15, 2021 

Non-stop 


The question of the day was What are your three road trip must-haves? 


First answer? 


Food, phone, and a bottle to pee in. 


Well. 


Safe travels, kid. 


Sunday, April 14, 2019 

Wardrobe Change 


Many of my friends and colleagues are headed south and west to warmer weather for spring break this week. We are headed north to Minnesota for a visit with my mom. And to tell you the truth? The weather here has been pretty mild the last couple of days, and after seeing myself in shorts-- another week of cool weather might not be too bad! 


Safe travels to all!

2 comments:

  1. The post about your mom was so very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hopping around time with this theme touches on so many sentiments: joy, tenderness, and humor, to name a few. Safe travels to you, by the way!

    ReplyDelete