Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Mother of Invention

Every year it's different. 

The structured group "brain breaks" that have been successful with other sixth grade groups in the past have this year given way to timed instructional and work sessions or stations punctuated by brief (also timed) breaks. So where in other years kids would compete in fun minute-to-win-it type activities, now my classes have five minutes to move about, get water, use the restroom, talk to their friends, and play with the toys and fidgets I have in my room.

The structure works for this group, who struggled early on with finding a successful cooperative dynamic for mini-competitions and challenges, and it's kind of fun in its own way. Plus, I don't have to have a yo-yo for everyone, a couple will do for those who choose to use them. Likewise, 3-4 kids will play a round of magnetic darts, while another might solve the speed cube. There are puppets, a headband with a punching ball, chopsticks, bouncy balls, a foam football, mini golf clubs, juggling balls, and more. The only rule is that all electronic devices have to be closed. 

I was worried that if everyone was doing their own thing, we would lose some of that sense of community that a group activity can build, but I have found that not to be true. Even in the short time they have, small groups form and reform, and many kids seek me out during those breaks, too, either to play with them or witness their amazing accomplishments. 

All in all, what started out as a concession to what I considered a gap in this class's social skills has turned into a net positive. I can add the concept of self-directed free time to my list of breaks, and it might even end up near the top.


2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a hive of productivity, fun, and community. I want to visit and observe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve decided I need more toys in my room. Love the no tech break options!

    ReplyDelete