Tuesday, March 5, 2024

First Shift

I took my car in for some minor repairs and a safety inspection, and rather than shuttle back and forth, I decided to wait in the dealership lounge. The wifi was good, and I was able to get quite a bit of planning and some grading done in the couple of hours I was there. When at last the service advisor came to fetch me, I was feeling pretty good about my productivity; revising a rubric seemed a much better way to spend my time than watching game shows on their giant flat screen, or reading a magazine, or scrolling through my phone. Doing schoolwork gave meaning to waiting around. 

As I ponder when and if I should retire, it's considerations such as this that give me pause: what will define my down time if it's not my on time?

4 comments:

  1. Who knew the decision would be so difficult? So many things to consider!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find that I’m more productive in public spaces. Not sure what this says about me as a person, but I’m glad you had this experience today, too! Maybe if you retire you’ll have to add a book club to your writing group to fill some of the downtime. I know a good one! But I think you know what my vote would be about your choice… only leave if I do too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great question. What will fill your downtime, indeed? I'm sure you will figure it out, but when you've filled it certain way for so many years, it'll take some getting used to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! This post speaks to me. Each year now I ask myself the question: how much longer? But, I love the work, the colleagues, and the brilliance that peaks through everyday with my students. I am not done yet.

    ReplyDelete