Friday, September 29, 2023

"Irritable" Vocabulary? (10 letters)

To give the students a fun and engaging opportunity to review the prefixes they have been learning, I turned to a tool I used several years ago, when last we taught word parts. I created a crossword puzzle using a website that worked for me back then. 

Because I thought it best to start off pretty easy, each clue had the definition of the prefix and some form of the root word. So, for example, "to spell something wrong" would be "misspell".Even so, I wasn't prepared for the number of kids who didn't know how a crossword puzzle worked. 

The concept of across and down was confusing, and some students literally turned their papers 90 degrees to write the down answers from right to left. One kid found a space for the actual words 'across' and 'down' and then crossed them out like it was a reverse word search. Additionally, going through and filling out the ones they definitely knew was a foreign concept to them, especially since they didn't realize that having some letters could help them check and solve other clues.

All in all, what was planned as a quick review activity took a lot more assistance and supervision, (not to mention time!) than I expected, but once they got it? 

Most kids asked if I had another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment