Monday, September 18, 2023

Rough Morning

Well, folks, the honeymoon is over. 

On this Monday morning, the sixth graders were acting like, well, middle schoolers. The school day hadn't even officially started when a girl dropped the f-bomb over her shoulder as she sauntered down the hall. She seemed surprised that I objected to her language. "Really?" I asked. "Do you talk like that around your parents?"

She shrugged.

A little while later I asked another student to change seats so she could collaborate with a small group, and at first, she flat-out refused. I was pretty insistent, but I could see her sizing me up and calculating whether it was worth the hassle, before she slowly moved over.

Then, after the brain break, a young man sat red-faced at his table, tears rolling down his cheeks. The three-minute activity had only involved bouncing ping-pong balls into solo cups with a partner, and so I was unsure about his situation. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"My partner threw the ping pong ball really hard and hit me in the groin," he sniffled. Upon return from the clinic, he had the only thing they prescribe, a baggy of ice wrapped in a paper towel. I can only assume it was a comfort to him as he applied it to the affected area under the table. I didn't really need to see it for myself. 

And that was all before 9:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment