Sunday, September 17, 2023

The Wonder of It

As my sister and I chatted on the phone this afternoon, our conversation made its way to a cat we had 35 years ago, Noah. She was comparing her new kitten's jumping skills to his, and the image of Noah, leaping three feet straight up and catching a bouncing superball midair with his paws and then tucking it into his mouth before landing, flooded into my memory. 

"Wow!" I told her, "I had completely forgotten how he did that!"

I shouldn't have been surprised. Just yesterday, while listening to the AT Top 40 from this week in 1975, I literally gasped when the song Rocky came on. "Oh my gosh," I told Heidi, "I haven't thought of this song in at least 40 years!" But still I could sing every cheese lyric. She said Rocky I've never had a baby before, don't know if I can do it, but if you let me lean on you, take my hand I might get through it.

And then again today, an email made me look back to the October 2016 archive of this blog. Skimming through the entries, I read my thoughts and reports of that month, and again, I don't really have much recollection of what I was talking about. 

I have read advice to approach aging with confidence and wonder, rather than fear. I get that, especially in the sense that I wonder what else I've completely forgotten!

No comments:

Post a Comment