Saturday, September 9, 2023

Natural Solution

We had a few fruit flies around the kitchen, which wasn't surprising given the bounty of our garden lately. When I was at the garden center last week getting the supplies for my cactus pups, I noticed a cute little Venus flytrap on display. It was a bit expensive for a wee little thing in a tiny plastic pot full of sphagnum, but I've long wanted to own one, and the fruit fly situation gave me just the excuse I needed.

In just a day or two, the minor infestation was over, so when I had several lazy houseflies pestering me in my classroom last week? 

I was tempted to go in search of a bigger plant to take care of the problem. I've seen Little Shop of Horrors, though, and perhaps turning to carnivorous plants to address pests might be a bit of a slippery slope.

No comments:

Post a Comment