Saturday, September 16, 2023

Go West, Mature Women

The day was so pretty, quintessential September blue skies, cool air, and warm sun, that I couldn't stay put. "Let's go somewhere!" I said to Heidi.

I tapped the map app on my phone and pinched it in a bit to widen the area. Then I swiped a bit to the right and dropped my finger randomly on Gore, VA. Next, I opened my hiking app and searched for nearby possibilities. I ended up with the trails at the Museum of Shenandoah Valley in Winchester, which wind several miles through 90 acres, through woods and pastures and past engaging landscape features and art installations. And, while the museum and its gardens have an admissions charge, the trails are free.

The trip out there was about 90 minutes, but I offered Heidi the chance to break it in Marshall, VA, home of the famous Red Truck Bakery, named one of America's best small-town bakeries by Travel+Leisure Magazine, which she of course accepted. And so we set out, American Top 40 from 1975 on the radio, and the mountains ahead.

And the day was just as sublime as it promised to be.





No comments:

Post a Comment