Sunday, February 5, 2023

We're Quits

When I was a kid, it was the Sears holiday wish book that was our go to catalog when it came to making our Christmas lists. And the Sears outlet store in the next town over was always my mom’s first stop for school shopping.

When I moved to Arlington as a young adult, Sears had a big presence here, not only as a mainstay mid-priced department store, but also in the many neighborhood examples of the mail order houses they sold through the Sears catalog from 1908-1942.

And down in Atlanta, right around the corner from my sister, on the BeltLine in the Old Fourth Ward, Ponce City Market, a mixed-use development with a food hall, restaurants, upscale shopping, apartments, office space and a mini-golf course on the roof is a cool example of a repurposed Sears distribution center. Visiting there, though, I’ve always been a little sad that the company’s loss has been our gain.

Yeah, I’ve been a loyal Sears supporter for nearly sixty years, all through the ups but mostly downs of the company. Then, after the whole refrigerator fiasco yesterday, today SEARS called to say that the refrigerator we ordered on November 27, which had been delayed three times, was now discontinued, and we would have to select a different model.

I think that might be the last straw Sears.

No comments:

Post a Comment