Saturday, February 4, 2023

Cold Truth

We had hit up our neighbors to borrow their coolers in preparation for the arrival of our new refrigerator today, but it occurred to me last night that the whole world would be a refrigerator today, when the high temperature was only supposed to be 32. 

No coolers necessary, I rose at 8 AM and packed the contents of the freezer and fridge in reusable shopping bags and set them out on our deck. Then I pulled out the empty appliance and cleaned behind and underneath it, not wanting to subject the delivery and installation techs to a couple of years worth of side spills and cat hair. And I was just finishing up when my phone rang. 

Perfect timing! I congratulated myself, but I was disappointed to hear a recorded voice telling me that our delivery had been delayed a third time and directing me to dial a toll free number as soon as possible. Pity the operator who answered my call! I was courteous but clearly displeased, and he soon elevated my call. The next person I spoke to acknowledged my frustration and offered me 42 dollars for my inconvenience. 

I laughed out loud, at which point she doubled the compensation and promised to have my fridge to me by Wednesday. "It would cost me more than 84 dollars to take off from work," I told her, which I think is true-- I'll be compensated for my unused leave when I retire. Her best offer was 126 dollars and a Saturday appointment, which I accepted with the understanding that any further delays will result in the cancelation of the order. I hung up and turned to my empty refrigerator. 

The problem with it is a clogged freezer drain which results in water flowing into the main compartment whenever the compressor defrosts. I had watched videos on how to clear the clog, but it would involve me removing the icemaker before I could access the drain. After my stove fiasco, I didn't have the will to attempt such a feat, and since our fridge is 19 years old, my research told me that a new, more energy-efficient appliance would have us break even within a year or two. 

But the freezer was empty, and I thought long and hard about what it would take to pull that icemaker out. In the end, I attempted to unclog it from the freezer side with some very hot water. Then I scrubbed that old fridge within an inch of its remaining days and hoped for the best. 

Maybe it's fixed? But probably not. It does still chill, though, and it's sparkling clean. It can last at least another couple of months if necessary, and I'm thinking that's likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment