Friday, February 10, 2023

The Future is Now

I was digging around this morning in the cabinet where I keep the games in my classroom. Some of the kids were playing Spot-it, and I asked them if they had ever played Set. Several said they had, and I realized that although I owned a couple of decks, it had literally been years since I or anyone else had seen them. 

I was first introduced to the game over thirty years ago by my young cousin, Jennifer. She was 8 or 9 at the time and had played it in some gifted pull-out sessions at school. I was training to be a teacher and the two of us loved playing games, so Set was a good fit. Back then, Jennifer liked playing with me because I wouldn't let her win, so she knew if she beat me it was fair and square and a much sweeter victory.

I found the games in the back corner of the cupboard in a little crate with some other cards, among them something called Table Talk which was comprised of a deck of conversation starters. I have no idea when or where I acquired the game, but the first card I looked at happened to be the exact same question I posted for the warm-up on Monday. It occurred to me then that the game might be a helpful source of Chat questions, and so I set it aside when I pushed the crate back into the corner.

This afternoon I was sorting through the questions, and although many are good for sixth graders, a few like What does your dream kitchen look like? and What advice do you have for newlyweds? just aren't relevant. I did come across a question that hinted at the age of the game, though.



No comments:

Post a Comment