Saturday, October 1, 2022

The Right Clothes

Today dawned gray and soggy as the remnants of Hurricane Ian continued their slow pass over our area. After having received my COVID booster yesterday, and still nursing that nasty cold, hunkering down at home with a blanket and some hot tea seemed like a good plan for the day. 

So much so, that I was a little surprised to see people walking and driving around outside, because my hurricane response was just that sensible. But one thing gave way to another: first, the matter of breakfast got me out of my chair, then the dog needed to go out, a shower seemed prudent, and a trip to the grocery store was also nearing necessary. 

So I chose to outfit myself in jeans and boots and a long-sleeved t-shirt, took a couple of Advil, popped a baseball cap on my head and zipped up my LLBean raincoat. Once outside, I realized that fresh air, and activity, and engagement with the larger world would be much better for me than sitting around all day, and I even felt a certain sense of satisfaction at being properly attired for a day like today. 

It reminded me of the Norwegian expression, There's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes, which is a little more true around here at this time of year than in the hot and humid summer, and I resolved to make it a point to get outside a little more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment