Sunday, June 19, 2022

Shorthand

A few years ago Heidi and I stood on our balcony at the rear of the Norwegian Sun. We were embarking on the cruise part of our Alaskan vacation, something neither of us had ever done. As such, everything was new and a little strange, from the dining arrangements to the mandatory evacuation drill before we left port, and from the towel animals they left on our beds each evening to the ID cards we used to scan ourselves off and back on the ship during shore excursions. 

The sun was setting over the bottom of the Alaska Range to our left as the ship chugged south, but Heidi was looking over the railing 12 stories down to the churning propellor. "What would you do if you fell in?" she asked me.

I blinked and turned away from the sunset. "Uhhhh, I don't know," I answered. "Drown?"

"Babe!" she said sternly. "You gotta get clear of the propellor! That's your only chance!"

It had never occurred to me to prepare for such a catastrophe, especially given the almost zero chance that it would happen. But that's a difference between Heidi and me; she is constantly preparing for a worst case scenario, especially in novel situations.

We have returned to that conversation several times in the almost seven years since it happened. I like to think I've grown from incredulous and dismissive to accepting and even appreciative of Heidi's perspective. Today we were talking about a friend whose health and medication issues may keep her from deploying to Iraq for six months. The job would be good for her career, but she's having trouble getting medical clearance.

I thought she should be able to decide for herself if she thought she was okay to go, but Heidi wasn't so sure. "It's stressful, and she won't have any of her usual supports over there," she said. "She thinks it will be fine, but I'm concerned."

"Are you saying she doesn't know what she would do if she fell off the back of the boat?" I asked.

"Pretty much," Heidi answered. "Which is a problem for someone who's fallen off the back of the boat before."

Enough said.

2 comments:

  1. Getting clear of the propellor is very wise advice, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was me, Joanne. It’s not letting me sign in as me, but I’ll figure it out. Just so you know. 🙂

    ReplyDelete