Monday, June 6, 2022

Facial Recognition Software

Several years ago our school started an alumni barbecue. Held one afternoon in June, all the high school kids who went through middle school here are invited back for hot dogs and lemonade. The food is welcome, but seeing their former classmates and teachers is the biggest draw, of course.

After 2 years away from that tradition, we reinstated it today, and 3 PM found a bunch of teachers gathered out back somewhat nervously-- Will I know anyone? Will I recognize them? Will they remember me? Then little by little in pairs and trios kids started arriving, and they, too, looked nervously around until they spotted a familiar face, which made their own light up.

They were supposed to wear name tags, but not everyone did, and they were a little shy, too. The faces were sort of recognizable, but not always. "Do you remember me?" asked one student. "I'm Zosia!" 

Her name was blown away by the breeze, and I couldn't place her, but her friend came to the rescue. "She used to be about this tall,"they said holding a hand by their waist.

"Zosia!" I said, and she smiled. Then I turned to the friend. "Thank you! That was very helpful!"

Finally, it got to the point where if I saw a face I knew I knew, I just went over to the kid and asked their name, because it was better than being put on the spot. Even so, that plan didn't always work. A colleague and I stood close together then, to help each other out, and when a student came up and engaged us in conversation, it gave me a little time to access this aging memory bank when my friend was talking.

"Sariah!" I said in one such situation, and she beamed

"You remember my name?" she asked with delight.

"I do!" I told her. "I do!"

No comments:

Post a Comment