Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Expiration Date

There is a time capsule in the lobby of our school. 

I was present when it was put in place in 2003, the 30th anniversary of our building, and scheduled to be opened thirty years later,  in 2033. Recently, some students noticed it and became curious about its history and contents. They imagine themselves returning in 10 years just to see what's in there.

"You have to stay here teaching until then!" one told me today. "It will be your 40th year! We can have reunion!"

I laughed, noncommitally, and later at the end-of-the-year staff picnic I was recounting the conversation to Heidi and my friend Mary. 

"No way I'm teaching until I'm 71!" I scoffed. "Unless I do," I hedged.

"You'll have to re-certify," Mary reminded me practically. "Our licenses are only good until 2032."

"And mine expires in 2031," Heidi said. "Sorry, Babe, I'm not teaching past then."

"Well, at least I know what's in there," I sighed.

No comments:

Post a Comment