Thursday, June 2, 2022

50,000 Hours or So

Malcolm Gladwell famously posited that it takes 10,000 hours or more of practice to make someone an expert, and the way I figure it, I've done my time in teaching.

So, as we enter the last couple weeks of school and the teacher-for-a-day lesson ideas start to come in,  "Come talk to me!" I always tell the kids. "I've been doing this job a long time, and I've got some mad teaching skills. I'm ready to help!" 

"I want to teach the class to make a pillow fort for my lesson," a student told me today. 

"Hmmm," I responded, "what will you use for the hands-on part of the lesson?"

She gestured grandly to the four pillows I have over by the windows.

"That doesn't really seem like enough for everybody," I said.

Her face fell.

"What if..." I continued, thinking out loud. "What if we made little pillows so that they could create models of their forts?"

She looked skeptical. 

"Hand me a piece of paper," I said, grabbing some scissors. I folded the paper in half and then cut it in half. I stapled it closed on three sides. "Does this look about the right size?" I asked.

She nodded.

"Now we need some stuffing." I looked around the room and my eyes landed on a tissue box. I pulled a few out, wadded them loosely, and gently pushed them into the pouch. A couple more staples produced a pretty little paper pillow.

Now the student was smiling. "Do you think this will work?" I asked.

"I really do!" she replied. 

After we talked a bit about presentations and rubrics, she returned to her seat to finish her planning.

On the way out the door at the end of class, I saw her show the prototype to a classmate. "I'm doing pillow fights for my lesson," she said, "and these are the pillows we're going to make!"

"That's actually pretty genius," said her friend.

Genius? Perhaps, but I prefer to think of it as expertise.

The first kid looked at me, and I gave her a chin nod.

"Thanks," she told her friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment