Saturday, June 29, 2019

PDA

I thought I'd spare Heidi the anxiety of looking for my mom's car on the crowded curbside outside of baggage claim, so I parked in the massive garage and found my way along a meandering route down and around and back up to the 14 carrousels in the arrival hall.

The  roundabout path from parking to passenger underscored how rare it has become to actually enter an airport these days unless you are  traveling.  Long gone are the times when friends and family greeted flyers at the gate, waving cheerfully at the end of the jetway, but it is also increasingly uncommon for anyone to stand outside of the security exit to welcome their wandering kin.

But today as I stood at the baggage claim scanning the moving crowd right and left, looking for the one who I was there to meet, I did witness a couple of reunions. Two little girls bounced eagerly in a collapsible wagon waving a hand-lettered Welcome Home Daddy sign. "Ya'll stay seated!" the smiling man the waited for commanded them as their mom rolled them toward him. "Safety first!"

And across the carpet two bearded young men with huge backpacks held out their arms in glee and crab-walked toward each other before engaging in an elaborate hand-slapping ritual that dissolved into a big bro hug. Chattering in Italian, they thumped each other's backs all the way to the escalator.

It was right then that I finally caught sight of Heidi, and although our reunion was just as happy as either of the other two, it's safe to say that it probably went unnoticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment