Sunday, June 16, 2019

See You When I See You

I passed a young woman on the escalator this afternoon. I was going up, and she was on her way down; I did a double take, but she didn't notice me. I'm certain that it was a former student-- a delightful little girl when I knew her, all grown up now.

Later in the grocery store, I glanced up to the loft where they have tables for dining in. There, laughing with his little brother, was a current student of mine. I watched him for a few moments, intrigued to see him in his real, away-from-school life. He did not look down, and when the cashier finished ringing our order, we left.

At the farmers market earlier in the day, the playground was packed with running, jumping, and swinging kids. I stopped to watch them play for a minute, wondering if any of those kids would ever find their way to my classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment