Sunday, June 2, 2019

Standard Garden Time

I spent a little over an hour in the garden this morning, watering and weeding. I always like watering, and sometimes, like today, I actually enjoy weeding, too.

I take the time to grasp each plant as close to the soil as I can get, and there is great satisfaction to feeling the tiny zipper of roots pulling free from the soil. I go quickly, but carefully, examining each plant before removing it from my garden.

There is a practical reason to proceed as such, especially at this time of year when many volunteers, hardy descendants of crops past are doing their best to establish themselves and continue their lineage. Today I found a little basil plant, a tomatillo, and what just might be a sweet potato slip. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment