Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Thanks!

Sometimes, at the end of the school year, a generous family or two will send in a thank you note from the student with perhaps a gift card. Many of these cards are for coffee-- they are not wrong to assume that a lot of educators run on caffeine for at least part of the day-- but some are a bit more general. This year, for example, I received a 25 dollar pre-paid American Express card, which was a very thoughtful gesture.

I generally like to use my gifts on something specific that I can mention later on if I happen to see the benefactor, and that was what I was planning to do, but since I was headed out of town almost as soon as the year was over, after I wrote my thank-you note, I peeled the shiny gold plastic from the cardboard and placed it in my wallet so I wouldn't forget about it.

Yesterday I was in line at the big wine and beer store ready to pay for a few six packs for my visit with my mom when Heidi called. It was rather a challenge to complete my transaction and have a conversation, but I overcame the distraction and it wasn't until the cashier told me I still owed 24 cents that I realized I had given him my gift card instead of my actual AmEx card. I dug out a quarter from my pocket and lugged my bags to the car, laughing. That particular purchase probably wasn't what the family had in mind, but...

I sure am enjoying it!

No comments:

Post a Comment