Friday, June 14, 2019

Detachment

For the second half of International Game Day we watched The Cup, a 20 year old Tibetan film about boys in a monastery who are determined to see the final game of the World Cup, despite having no television.

It was a little slow for my sixth grade group, but they were very compliant. It also gave us the opportunity to discuss Buddhism, particularly the impermanence of things. One of the after lessons for the film was on mandalas, the concept of which totally drove the students nuts.

“Why would anyone ever spend so much time making something that won’t last?” demanded one.

“That’s the point,” I told her. “Nothing lasts. They are showing their acceptance of that. Plus the mandalas are amazing and beautiful.”

And so our conversation went on, exploring the value and permanence of, among other things, video games, school projects, dancing, and sixth grade.

Afterwards, we had the option of creating our own mandalas on paper. Most of the kids were impressed with the time and effort I devoted to my colorful emblem. When I was done, I stood up and tore it into tiny scraps of color, all beautiful in their way. When the bell rang, I handed a slip to each student on the way out the door.

One particular kid defiantly tossed his scrap of mandala into the trash without a glance, his attention instead focused on my reaction.

I met his smirk with a smile. "Way to embrace the impermanence!" I told him. "Have a good weekend!"

No comments:

Post a Comment