Thursday, June 13, 2019

The Complexity of Kids

You know the school year is drawing to a close when they schedule the open talent show...

This afternoon a dozen brave middle schoolers sang, tumbled, danced, and played their way through their acts in front of a hundred or so of their peers. While I always admire their courage, this year I really wondered what in the world they were thinking for most of the performances.

Along with a pretty good Riptide ukulele number and some interesting contemporary dance, there were stunningly awful renditions of Bohemian Rhapsody, If I Was Your Man, and My Fight Song. Middle school kids are not known for their empathy, and despite a direct reminder to be kind and respectful, my stomach churned a bit in the dark with the crack of each flat note as I noticed the growing restlessness of the crowd.

I needn't have worried though. What started as an ironic show of support-- shining phones held aloft in waving arms by snickering kids, turned into a real rescue when the audience picked up the melody and sang along, elevating the performance itself with their voices.

And the applause at the end of every number was genuine.

1 comment: