Saturday, October 15, 2022

More is More

We finally got around to putting up our Halloween lights this afternoon. 

I write that as if it's an annual occurrence, but we have never had anything other than a jack-o-lantern lighting our home before. Heidi is still embracing the holiday light vibe, though, and so I ordered a few things from Target a couple of weeks ago, and then we supplemented our decor when we went to pick those lights up. 

And although I haven't been able to find that dedicated block of time to get down the step ladder and actually decorate, the light design has definitely been on my mind. Last week I ordered a set of green shower-effect lights, and just the other day I told Heidi we needed one more string of purple lights. So when the porch light blinked on around 4:15, I knew my window of opportunity was both open and closing, and I climbed up to the attic and got the step ladder down. 

Like everything, this project was more complicated than planned; there were hammers, pliers, drills, and extension cords involved, as well as a non-functioning string of lights. Even so, Heidi and I worked together to problem solve and hang those suckers up. It was deep dusk when we finished, and neighbors passing by stopped to admire our handiwork. 

"It looks great!" noted one friend, sweeping her hand to encompass green waterfalls, purple c-5s, Halloween mulits, and spider paper lanterns.

I shrugged modestly. "You know Heidi," I said. "More is more!"

"What's that supposed to mean?" my wife elbowed me.

"You have gusto!" I answered. "Your enthusiasm is a really good thing."

She looked at me suspiciously.

"And the lights are amazing!" I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment