Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Play for Pay

"Do you have to go to college to be a professional soccer player?" a student asked me today. 

"Are you asking for yourself, or someone else?" I responded.

"It's me," the student replied. "I want to be a soccer player, but I don't want to got to college."

"College soccer is another level up," I said. "It will give you more playing time, and more visibility to professional scouts. That's why many soccer players do go to college."

"Is that true in other countries, too?" the student asked. "Don't they have academies you don't have to pay for?"

"I don't know," I shook my head. "What country do you want to play for?"

"I don't want to say," the student told me. "I just don't want to go to college."

"Well, if you're a good athlete, you can get a scholarship, and then the college will support you in your classes. You can get help and tutoring."

The student seemed unconvinced, and we ended our conversation there, but as I walked away I considered how many, many times over the years I've been a teacher I've had such a discussion, with a few variations. Usually, it's the sport that is different, but today was the first time I've ever had that talk with a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment