Thursday, October 6, 2022

Blinded by the Light

"My doctor is so nutty!" Heidi told me when I picked her up from her eye appointment this afternoon.

"How do you mean?" I said. Because of COVID restrictions, it's been a while since I've accompanied her to any appointments, and so I've never met the guy.

We laughed as she filled me in on his idiosyncratic comments and behavior. "And you know, I have no idea what he even looks like, because I'm dilated whenever he examines me. To me, he's just some tall, skinny shadow with a soft southern accent!"

I shook my head, because I knew exactly what she meant. One time, years ago, we were at a craft show on Thanksgiving weekend. As we browsed the aisles of pottery and painting, a woman walked toward us. Seeing Heidi, she tilted her head and smiled, but Heidi ignored her and continued on.

"Wasn't that Doctor Keyes?" I said, pointing my chin in the direction the woman had gone. 

"Where?" Heidi asked.

"Right there," I rolled my eyes to the next stall where the woman was shopping.

"Her?" Heidi shook her head. "No way!"

And yet? It was. I recognized her from all the appointments I had sat in on, and of course, she recognized Heidi as a patient. But Heidi had no idea what the doc looked like, because by the time she came into the examination room, Heidi really couldn't see too much.

Just then we heard the woman ask a question about the jewelry she was looking at. “Holy shit!” Heidi said. “That’s Dr. Keyes!”

No comments:

Post a Comment