Sunday, October 30, 2022

Do Not Call List

My phone rang with an unknown number in Target yesterday, so I silenced it with a quick palm over the face of my watch. The caller was persistent though, and a moment later, my Linus and Lucy ringtone blared from my back pocket again, showing the same weird name and number. Again, I declined the call, but when my butt buzzed a third time, I yanked the phone from my pocket with irritation and punched the accept button. "Wrong number!" I snapped and hung up. A few seconds later I received a one word text: oven.

It was true that my original service appointment for my oven was scheduled for today, but I had canceled it earlier in the week after I got ahold of the extended warranty company and filed a claim. They were handling the service call now, and it was on the calendar for Wednesday afternoon, less convenient, but at no charge to me. The original, manufacturer-approved company was going to make me pay 160 bucks before even setting foot in the house, which was worrisome, because what incentive would they have to return with the part in a timely manner if I paid their entire labor upfront? 

Even so, I felt I owed it to the technician to explain that I had canceled the appointment, and so I called the number back. "Okay," he said and hung up.

I scanned through my email to check the Wednesday call, and I blinked when I saw the confirmation. It's the same company.

At least I'll recognize the number.

No comments:

Post a Comment